Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baboons and Monkeys

 
Previously I posted pictures of signs warning about baboons. Remember?  

 Keep your doors locked and windows shut. I thought it was kind of funny that those cute little monkeys and baboons could be a problem. Well I was wrong. 



These cute little Vervet monkeys are nasty.   When I was walking back from the Zambia side of Victoria Falls (after Bungee Jumping – Boing!), 3 of the little guys came out of the rain forest towards me on the pathway.  No problem I thought, I veered out into the roadway but they just kept coming at me.  I finally swung my umbrella at one to shoo it away and that really pissed them off!  The big one came after me with teeth bared!   I took off running – totally intimidated by a monkey.  I was laughed at by a bunch of Zimbabwe souvenir sellers!

My next encounter was at Tsitsikamma National Park.  It is a beautiful park right on the ocean at Storms River mouth.  I was able to get a cabin in the park for the night. I'd seen baboons along the roads but when I drove up to cabin #23 and there was a big baboon going through the trash can right next to where I was supposed to park. 
 I panicked, of course, remembering my last monkey encounter.   I turned around, drove away without getting out of the car – totally intimidated by a baboon.  The big guy was gone when I returned a couple of hours later after sightseeing - whew.

When I stopped in Pringle Bay, I went into the general store to get a snack and there was a sign on the door stating to be sure to latch the door to keep the baboons out.  I asked the proprietor about that and she said that baboons are quick learners and very cunning so be careful  when you are alone.  Great.


On the banana plantations, all the big bunches of bananas are kept covered in blue plastic.  I asked the tour guide why and he said that “Monkeys always make a mess.  They will tear down and wreck the entire bunch even if they only ate one banana because that's their nature.”  The farmers hate the monkeys/baboons and shoot them whenever they get the chance. 


I guess I'm really thankful we don't have baboons and monkeys in the USA.  Can you imagine if cats were the size of monkeys and had thumbs and could open car doors?   I think cats would be a lot like monkeys,  they would probably steal your lunch, your purse, your credit cards and stuff!  However, I do think they'd be very neat and clean about it. 

On the other hand, if dogs were like monkeys and had opposable thumbs, I don't think they'd steal your stuff  I think dogs would be so busy throwing tennis balls for themselves and other dogs that the thought of stealing your stuff would never occur to them!


Shari
PS You know how I call people Knuckleheads when they are annoying me?  Well from now on I'm going to call them Monkeys!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't have any monkey nightmares. LOL. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughed so hard, almost peed my pants!

    ReplyDelete