Friday, February 11, 2011

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe


Victoria Falls is considered one of the seven Wonders of the Natural World.  The falls are 328 feet high which makes them twice as high as Niagara Falls in the US.  The falls are formed by the Zambezi River which is also the border between the countries of Zimbabwe and Zambia.  I flew into the Zimbabwe side but walked over to the Zambia side of the river.  I did not get my passport stamped  in Zambia because the visa costs $10 to enter Zambia from Zimbabwe but it will cost you $30 to get back let back into Zimbabwe so you can go back to your hotel!

I got to the hotel, checked in and walked around Victoria Falls Village.  I saw a tour company office that was jammed full of people so I walked over to check it out.  Surprise!  Americans -- I've only talked to one other American since I arrived in Africa so it was nice to hear US accents and slang for a change.   Plus, they were the nicest, friendliest bunch of folks from all over the US and they invited me to go on the Sunset River Cruise with them.  They had been in Africa for several weeks building Churches/Schools and were at Victoria Falls for a little R&R. 
Hippos on the Sunset Cruise
Sunset on the Sunset Cruise













































The falls are amazing.  The thing that surprised me was how really loud Victoria Falls are.  The sound is a continuous, thunderous roar, 24/7.  Vic Falls stretches on for 1 ¼ miles and as since it is summer (wet season) here, they are really flowing.   The day before I tried to walk down Path No 1 but only made it part way b/c a smaller waterfall had formed and flooded the path l was following.  
Path No. 1 - and yes, it really is that steep!

At the entrance to the falls, there are signs that warn you to cover your camera and bring an umbrella or slicker and Gosh – they aren't kidding.  I carried my umbrella but that was the wettest I think I have ever been in my life.  Soaked  to the skin! 


It's really hard getting good pictures in the rain/mist/fall spray but I figured out that if you stand in one place for awhile, the winds will blow the mists out and you'll get a very short window to get a picture of the waterfall with some blue sky behind it.







Towards the end of the trail you reach a place called Danger Point.  Now that's aptly named because it is a rocky point with no rails, just a sign that says "DANGER".  The winds at Danger Point are very strong - raging, swirling around. It's really wet too, standing water on all the stone pathways making them slick.  No pictures because it was misting/raining so hard I was afraid I'd drown my camera!

I now really appreciate those beautiful postcards of Victoria Falls because most of the time, the mist is so heavy that it completely obscures the view of Victoria Falls.
Shari

1 comment: